Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What Is Wrong With Bloggers? (Part 1 of many)

Before I started this blog, I had imagined that I would title it "What Is Wrong With You?" I could see the title edged in flame against a dark background, a beacon for all those dumbstruck by the idiocy of 99% of the rest of the world. Ok, not really. That would be cheesy. And also, my graphics skills are weak, so I settled for black against a white background. But the title, and the sentiment, remain the same.

I figured there were probably blogs with this name already, but I also figured they'd either relate to medical diagnosis (true) or be all together inferior to my blog (also true). And I welcomed the competition. And if called upon to render a medical diagnosis, sure, I'll step up and give it a shot. I watch House.

I also figured that the URL whatiswrongwithyou.blogspot.com would be taken. And I was right. As were lots of different configurations of that URL. What I didn't realize was that they were all taken by people who don't use them. I typed a few of the different variations of the URL into my web browser and with few exceptions got a screen that looked like someone had started a blog, but never posted anything.

Now, I have no problem at all with lack of follow-through. If I had a nickel for every time I had a good idea, spent a little bit of time on it, then abandoned it before really accomplishing anything, I'd have quite a bag of nickels. But I don't think any of my stopped short endeavors ever got in the way of anyone else's plans.

People who go to the trouble of registering a blog and titling it but who never post anything for several years, what is wrong with you?